Thursday, February 27, 2014
Exquistely made furniture from the father and son furniture makers Abraham and David Roentgen was displayed recently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The pieces were built with intricate mechanisms for opening and closing drawers, compartments and components.
More info over at BLDG BLOG.
- Sexy diagrams of glutamate receptors in the central nervous system, featuring stepwise activation by multiple subunits.
- Hot, hot, hot! Article on ITAR fusion reactor project.
- Dreamy description of government debt and government assets spooning.
- Not sexy: GHCQ spied on your Yahoo! video chats, 3-11% of which involved nekkid people of one sort or another.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Saturday, February 01, 2014
Saturday, January 25, 2014
I'm a sucker for alternative and historical photographic processes, so Victoria Will's photographs of celebrities at Sundance are visual catnip. I have a tintype of my great grandfather where he looked like Flea in the picture above. Same piercing blue eyes. The process itself is unretouched and the photographs taken in harsh lighting conditions, so you end up with a very detailed and unforgiving photograph.
(via Esquire and kottke)
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
- Will Wilkinson on liberalism, libertarianism and the surveillance state.
- Lawrence Freedman at Google Authors on Strategy: A History.
- Rory Stewart believes that the anti-conspiracy theory of history is true with regard to the 21st century UK. "The secret of modern Britain is there is no power anywhere."
- Oxfam reports: Richest 85 people have as much wealth as poorest 50% of the world, top 1% has 65 times as much as bottom 50%.