Friday, June 10, 2005

Chicago Chainsaw Massacre

At 3AM this morning, I woke up to the sound of a chainsaw revving.

I thought, "Surely, it's just an asshole on a dirtbike, doing doughnuts on the street outside my apartment."

We get our fair share of lively partiers with loud engines, but this wasn't one of them. It was, in fact, a man with a chainsaw, outside my window. I had a momentary flash of Friday the 13th paranoia, before seeing that he had been sent by the city to remove a large tree branch that had fallen across my street. All the same, it took a while before I could get back to sleep. I've had these weird nighttime rescue missions happen before, when I was so tired, I thought I was hallucinating the fire trucks, or the DEA raid down the way.

But no, I live in the world's most exciting neighborhood (at 3AM.)

No comments: