Monday, June 06, 2005

Writer's Workshop

"Are you a writer?" she asked.

"Yes...yes I am," only after I say this do I realize it's true.

"I knew it. You look like a writer."

(Is that, "You look like a writer: sexy, hip, intellectual," or "You look like a writer: disheveled, antisocial, frumpy?")

"So..." she says, "what do you write?"

"Novels...and things. I've finished a first draft, but need to go back and edit it."

"Is it due out soon, then?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it. It has a long way to go," I tell her. Then I tell her I'm also a consultant, which is also true, but which feels like a cop-out somehow.

I ask her about what she does (runs a tea website, spends a lot of time outdoors). We chat for a while, and then I leave to catch the 146, thinking I'd better get back to this writing stuff, because it's not good enough to look like a writer.

No comments: